Sunday, November 07, 2010

Cake and Brownie Balls!

Ok so its been like 7 months since the last time I posted but that's ok. I finally finished grad school, yay!!!! Can't believe it. Now I am doing things that I haven't been able to do since all my time was taken up by school. Besides watching loads of TV :) I have been doing a lot of fun cooking projects. The most recent being homemade pasta, ice cream and now brownie and cake balls. Between birthday gifts and graduation gifts I now have an ice cream maker attachment and pasta roller attachments for my Kitchen Aid mixer. They have been really easy to use and I'm having a ton of fun. We are now on our second batch of "ice cream" that was made last night. We did a gelato first but the hubby added double the amount of coffee making it a bit too coffee flavored. Last night we made frozen chocolate yogurt using Greek yogurt. That is all ready now and in my freezer!

I also am going to bring a dessert next weekend to my cousin's 30th birthday party so I am testing two different recipes for that; cake balls and brownie balls. The brownie balls were so easy to make and are ridiculously delicious. While I wouldn't say these are the healthiest of treats they are still manageable. The frozen yogurt is 180 calories with 3 grams of fat for a 1/2 cup serving (pretty good); the brownie balls are 115 calories, albeit a bit higher fat concentration at around 7 grams per ball; and the cake balls are about 170 calories and 7 grams of fat per ball. While it might not seem very satisfying to have just one of the brownie or cake balls I can attest the the brownie balls are pretty rich and satisfying. So even with if two brownie balls are eaten it's not the worst dessert.

I'm a bit back logged on the knitting projects right now. Still working on or at least still have to finish my hubby's scarf. But that's been on hold while I work on a baby blanket for my friend's newborn. However, I'm not very far on that either. Might just work on some bibs and burp cloths now and then go back to the blanket.

Have to go roll out the cake balls now, freeze them and then dip in white chocolate. Yummy!

No comments: